Baking: An Ever Expensive Hobby

Ever watched a cooking show? Ever noticed that other than the preparation table, the rest of the place would be filled with multifarious utensils for baking, cooking. Ever seen those huge jars they use to keep flour and an equally large one for sugar?


All those cost money (which a student like me cannot afford, especially when the locals refrain from hiring international students).

I thought I could find my way without all these gadgets and boy oh boy, how wrong I can be sometimes. OK, I am glad I do not need to buy an OVEN (since there is one in every home in UK), but there are those bakeware that are indispensable, like a mixing bowl (I used a cooking pot the last time and it was only JUST big enough) and a WHISK! Not to mention, ingredients can be pretty pricey too, especially since you cannot just bake one piece or slice, but bake a whole batch, with just me providing the dough. (I do not mind most of the time, since I get so much enjoyment out of it)

To conclude, I have already spent more than £60 on the basic necessities and I do not see an end for the expenditure, especially if I step into the realm of French pastries (which would be a waste if I don't and not to mention how disappointed I would be if I don't).

Sugar here is also very expensive. £1 for a kilo when I can get MYR1 (£1= MYR5.46)for a kilo at home. sheesh.

0 comments: